- Get horse ahead of the leg
- Make a fist of your outside hand. Don’t pull it back, but don’t let it move forward either.
- Use only enough inside rein to keep your horse’s head straight. If the head moves to the outside, use some inside rein.
- Push your horse forward
- Horse should move through the resistance by softening and putting nose toward vertical
- Relax your outside hand as soon as your horse softens, or 3 seconds, whichever comes sooner.
Time: 2 minutes when first introducing this concept. Eventually, this should become part of your warm-up and maintained throughout your riding.
Appropriate Gaits: Walk, Trot, Canter